- 6 slices bacon
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds/li>
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 10 cups torn romaine lettuce leaves
- 1/2 red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 (283gr) can mandarin orange segments, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds/li>
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
Place vinegar, sugar, red onion, mustard powder, and salt into the bowl of a blender. Cover, and puree on high until smooth. Reduce blender speed to medium-low; slowly pour in the vegetable oil and blend until incorporated and the dressing is creamy. Stir in the poppy seeds and set aside.
To serve, toss the romaine in a large bowl with the crumbled bacon, Mandarin oranges, and enough dressing to moisten. Place onto salad plates and sprinkle with toasted almonds.